Saturday, June 21, 2008

FC Dallas 1 - 0 Chicago Fire

I suppose I should get this one up before the next game kicks off, huh?

Yes, Chicago was missing players. Yes, It was ridiculously hot. You know what, though? None of that matters, because this was the best approach the Hoops have taken into a game all year, and it paid off with an entertaining game and a solid win that puts them halfway to winning the season series and the fan-created Brimstone Cup trophy. Cooper looked great, Oduro, while he didn't get a goal, employed his speed to keep a slow-ish Chicago backline off balance, and when the team was up late, they used solid possession and took the ball to the corner to burn time and sap the last bit of energy the Fire players had left. This last point reminds me that this is exactly the way any Texas soccer team should play in summertime day games against players from places with cooler temperatures. If you train in it and the other team doesn't, it should be an advantage.

This is the sort of performance I hoped to see and thought I might when I started the year so high on this group. Let's hope the new coach can keep it going.

Anyway...

No comments: